We're sorry, but this class is over. The last meeting was Saturday, June 24, 2017.
(Ages 4 - 6 without parent/caregiver)
This class combines elements from Exploring Music and Discovering Music into one class. Through more complex songs and games, children expand their musical vocabulary, pitch matching, and rhythmic abilities while further developing their listening skills, concentration, and sense of timing.
Children develop musical independence through improvisation and learn to read basic notation as well as other musical symbols. Movement continues to play an important role, as circle games and line dances are incorporated.
Class activities and benefits include:
- Development of pitch matching skills through basic solo singing and singing games
- Development of rhythmic skills including beat, meter, tempo and durational patterns
- Exploration and improvisation using Orff instruments (pitched and un-pitched percussion instruments)
- Expanded knowledge of musical instruments and instrument families
- Introduction to written musical notation
- Development of social skills and cooperation through group activities such as dancing, playing, and musical stories
- Expanded repertoire of simple songs and musical games
Please note: All classes consist of 45 minutes of instructional time followed by 15 minutes of Community Time to talk with our expert teachers, ask questions about music and child development, meet other families, and provide social time for children.
For more information, please contact Gabriela Cohen, First Music Program Chair, at (202) 686-8000 x1107 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Class By Age Group
5 and under (First Music)
VA - Arlington Campus