This activity is closed to further registration.
Do you like working with the public? Giving back to your community? Being a lifeguard? The American Red Cross Lifeguard Training course teaches skills and knowledge required for effective life guarding at swimming pools. When you successfully complete the course you will be certified in Lifeguard Training, CPR/AED, and First Aid as mandatory components of the class.
Attendance is mandatory for ALL classes. To be eligible for the Lifeguard Training certification, participants must score 80% or higher on all written exams and satisfactorily perform all combined skills in the water, first aid, and CPR/AED.
Please note that to be elibible for employment, the City of Coralville requires lifeguards to be 16 years of age.
- Provide proof of age. Participants must be 15 years of age or older on or before the last date of the course.
- Ability to swim 300 yards continuously using front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of both. Swimming on your side or back is not allowed.
- Must tread water for 2 minutes without support and without stopping. When treading, only the legs can be used. Candidates shall place their hands under the armpits. The head must remain above the surface of the water.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yds. The face may be in or out of the water. Surface dive, feet first or head first, to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a ten pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to breath. The participants should not swim the distance under the water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps. This is a timed event; you must complete this within 1 minute and 40 seconds.
- Please note that to be eligible for employment, the City of Coralville requires lifeguards to be 16 years of age.
A $25 application fee will be assessed for any cancellation. If a cancellation occurs within one week or less a $40 application fee will be assessed.
Recreation Center Lounge at Coralville Recreation Center
General Activity Instructor
Coralville Parks and Recreation Department