We're sorry, but this activity is over. The last meeting was Friday, December 16, 2016.
What happens in Learn-to-Swim Level 1?
For every level of Learn-to-Swim, our instructors follow a plan to introduce new swimming and water safety skills and build on previously learned skills. Each class is loaded with fun, engaging and challenging activities that motivate children to want to perform and learn to swim.
In Learn to Swim Level 1 - Introduction to Water Skills, your child is introduced to basic skills as the foundation for future skills. Certain milestones are necessary for successful completion of Learn to Swim Level 1, including:
- Entering the water independently using ladder, steps, or side
- Traveling at least 5 yards, bobbing 5 times, then safely exiting the water
- Gliding on front supported at least 2 body lengths
- Rolling to a back float for 5 seconds with support
- Recovering to a vertical position with support
It is common for children to participate in several sessions of Learn to Swim Level 1 before they successfully demonstrate each skill. That is okay! It is not important how quickly they move through a level, but that they acquire each skill.
City of Covington Parks and Recreation