We're sorry, but this class is over. The last meeting was Saturday, January 28, 2017.
(Ages 3 - 4 with parent/caregiver)
This class reinforces and builds on musical skills introduced in Round We Go class*. Children and their parent/caregiver continue to engage in a wide variety of musical activities, including singing and playing basic pitched and un-pitched percussion instruments. Circle dances and structured movement activities are also crucial components.
Instruments that require finer motor skills, such as finger cymbals and triangles, are creatively used throughout the year. Students sing songs with wider vocal range and more intricate rhythmic patterns to develop pitch matching, solo singing, and sense of rhythm.
"Visiting instruments" are introduced throughout the year and students are exposed to new sounds and instrument families. Through musical stories, games, and activities, children are also introduced to basic rhythmic and melodic concepts.
Class activities and benefits include:
- Instrument playing with pitched and un-pitched percussion instruments to encourage basic rhythmic competency, including ability to play a steady beat
- Simple solo singing for improved listening and pitch matching skills
- Movement activities to develop fine and gross motor skills
- Expressive movement to music, leading to spatial awareness and control
- Expanded repertoire of simple songs and musical games
- Students begin to contribute their own ideas which is an important first step to improvisation
All classes consist of 45 minutes of instructional time followed by 15 minutes of Community Time to talk with our expert teachers, ask questions about music and child development, meet other families, and provide social time for children.
Please note: Starting in Fall 2016, our Adventures in Music classes will include parents/caregivers. Research shows that children under the age of 4 best learn and benefit from a music class when they are sharing the experience with an adult. By participating together, our families will also find it easier to make music a part of their daily lives.
For more information, please contact Gabriela Cohen, First Music Program Chair, at (202) 686-8000 x1107 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Class By Age Group
5 and under (First Music)
MD - Strathmore Campus