CHAMPIONS PROGRAM. (SPECIAL NEEDS)
Dec 19 - Mar 30
From Dec 20, 2015 to Mar 31, 2016
This program is a Special Needs program sanctioned by PONY. This program is free to players and their on field buddies.
It was developed to help the children with special needs as they pursue their dreams of team sports in one of America's favorite pastimes. PONY has always participated in promoting the development of this type of league through its Friendship games at tournaments around the world---now the Champions become the official division.
It is the goal of this program to provide an environment that enhances the participants’ self-esteem, physical mobility, and embodies the spirit of teamwork and community.
MISSION STATEMENT: To provide every child regardless of special needs the opportunity to participate in America’s favorite pastime of baseball and softball.
RULES AND REGULATIONS:
- All participants between the ages of 4 and 23 years old, or who remain in a school setting, with special needs that would prevent them from playing in a traditional baseball or softball program.
- Teams may include as many as 20 players.
- Participants will be allowed to participate by the level of ability regardless of their age---either T- Ball or Coach Pitch.
- The “Buddy” system will be allowed and encouraged in both levels of play. These buddies will assist their player catch, field, and throw; and as necessary, get around the bases. These buddies can be traditional participants of baseball and softball, family or community members.
- Each player on the roster shall bat each inning and shall play defensively each inning. In addition, through the course of the rotation, it is recommended that stations be set up in the outfield area to keep the players active. Stations may consist of a batting tee set up for hitting into a net; throw back nets ; pitching nets; bases set up for practice runs.
- PONY Baseball and Softball encourages that no score be kept for this division.
- Insurance coverage for this division would be the same as any other team within the league and may be purchased through your local provider or through the PONY Baseball and Softball services of Gagliardi Insurance.
- The league shall provide the necessary safety equipment for the conduct of the league as well as adequate bats, stands for t-ball, bases (recommend safety bases), balls (recommend poly baseball and poly softball) and helmet's with chin guards.
- No team should be required to play more than one game in one day and the length of the game should not extend beyond 1 and ½ hours of play.
- The inning shall end when the roster has batted through. There will be no outs based on strikes, and no three outs to end the inning.
- There is no special playing field required although some communities choose to build a wheelchair-friendly synthetic field specifically designated for the Champions Division.
- It is encouraged by PONY Baseball and Softball that adequate sponsors are found so that there is little or no cost to the players or their families. We also encourage that treats be provided at the end of each game, again, through the use of sponsors.
- PONY Baseball and Softball wishes to create an atmosphere that fosters support systems among the families through other activities throughout the season; for example, spring training day, fall festival, field trips to ball parks.
- The Champions Division should be franchised through PONY Baseball and Softball utilizing their on line registration.
Palm Springs Youth League