This class has been cancelled.
(Ages 3-5 without parent/caregiver)
This class combines elements from our Adventures in Music and Exploring Music classes and is the first in a series for young children designed for independent music making. Children expand their musical vocabulary, pitch matching, and rhythmic abilities through songs, chants, and the use of pitched and un-pitched percussion instruments. Movement continues to play an important role, as simple circle games and activities that promote expressive movement are incorporated.
They develop listening skills, concentration, and a sense of timing as more complex and ensemble activities are introduced. "Visiting instruments" continue throughout the year and students are exposed to new sounds and instrument families.
Class activities and benefits include:
- Development of pitch matching skills through basic solo singing and singing games
- Exploration and improvisation using Orff instruments (pitched and un-pitched percussion instruments)
- Expanded knowledge of musical instruments and instrument families
- Development of rhythmic competency, including beat keeping and division of beat through movement and instrument playing
- Expressive movement activities
- Simple circle dances
- Development of social skills and cooperation through group activities such as dancing, playing, and musical stories
- Development of basic note reading through symbolic notation
- Expanded repertoire of simple songs and musical games
Please note: All classes consist of 45 minutes of instructional time followed by 15 minutes of Community Time to talk with our expert teachers, ask questions about music and child development, meet other families, and provide social time for children.
For more information, please contact Gabriela Cohen, First Music Program Chair, at (202) 686-8000 x1107 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Class By Age Group
5 and under (First Music)
MD - Silver Spring Campus