We're sorry, but Internet registration is not allowed for this Activity.
If you have been seeking an exciting, fun and safe alternative to tackle football, this is it! SOMA Flag Football is for South Orange and Maplewood players ages 8 through 14 AS OF AUGUST 1, 2016. (Proof of age is required at registration.)
This program is sponsored by the Department of Recreation in affiliation with NFL Flag. All teams will be named after an NFL football team, and players will receive belts, flags and game jerseys with NFL logos and colors. NFL FLAG rules and regulations have been adopted for use. Detailed rules for this 5-on-5 flag football program can be found on the NFL Flag website.
REGISTRATION - MONDAY JUNE 20
Registration for SOMA Flag Football will be taken IN PERSON as follows:
Monday, June 20, 2016
7 to 9 PM
5 Mead Street, South Orange
- Players must be residents of South Orange or Maplewood.
- Each player must be registered in person by a parent, guardian or responsible adult. Registration of multiple, un-related players by a single adult will not be permitted.
- Adult must present an original birth certificate or passport AND a completed registration form (attached to the right) for all players.
- In accordance with NFL Flag guidelines, brackets are determined by players age as of August 1, 2016. We cannot accept children who will not be 8 by 8/1/16 or who will turn 15 before that date. There will be 3 divisions by age groups as follows: 8-9 years old, 10-11 years old, 12-14 years old.
- The registration fee of $90 will be due in full at time of registration. Payment can be made by cash, check (payable to the 'Village of South Orange') or credit card (Visa, Mastercard or American Express).
- Registration is first-come, first-serve and will be limited to a total of 120 players (40 players per division, 4 teams per age group, 10 players per team).
PLAYER ASSESSMENTS - JUNE 22, 2016
All registered players will be assessed by parent volunteers for the purpose of balancing teams. All registered players will be assigned to a team. The first assessment will be held:
Wednesday, June 22
7 to 9 PM
(Rain site South Orange Middle School)
Additional information regarding assessments will be distributed to registered players. One or two additional assessment dates will be added during the latter half of July, if needed.
Below is a general outline of the fall schedule:
- Rosters will be formed and you will hear from your volunteer head coach by August 10th.
- Teams can meet and first practices can begin starting August 15th.
- Games will be scheduled to begin the weekend of September 18th.
- The season will be 6 weeks long, one game per week.
- Games are tentatively scheduled to be played between 3-6pm on Saturdays.
- Each game is 40 minutes long, consisting of two 20 minute halves, running time.
- All games will be played on fields in South Orange.
The SOMA Flag Football League Committee has been formed by parent volunteers. This group has established initial league guidelines and will be instrumental in operating and overseeing various aspects of this recreation Flag Football league.
For the league to succeed, VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED to serve as coaches, assistant coaches, team managers and committee volunteers. If you can help or have any questions, please email email@example.com.
We look forward to seeing you at registration, and on the gridiron!
Registration for this program is by age as of August 1, 2016.We cannot accept any child who will not be 8 by August 1st or who will turn 15 before that date. PROOF OF AGE must be presented at registration.
South Orange Dept. of Recreation and Cultural Affairs