We're sorry, but this class is over. The last meeting was Friday, February 3, 2017.
(Ages 5-8 without parent/caregiver)
This class combines elements from our Discovering Music and Building Musical Bridges classes, and "bridges" our popular First Music classes with private instrument study, offering older children more structured learning of complex musical ideas, note reading, and basic theory.
The class benefits students, including future vocalists, who aren't quite ready for one-on-one private instruction, preparing them adequately with supplemental skills for learning an instrument or developing their voice. Building Music Bridges is also intended for students who have recently begun private instrument study, as they benefit from the additional learning and reinforcement of skills and concepts. Students develop and perform in multiple disciplines including singing, playing Orff instruments, basic percussion, and movement/dance. This course also focuses on student composition and performance.
Class activities and benefits include:
- Creation of musical forms through movement activities and playing Orff instruments
- Reading and writing musical notation, including melodic and rhythmic concepts in treble and bass clefs
- Increased awareness of ensemble
- Development of rhythmic accuracy
- Strengthened pitch matching and independent singing abilities
- Expression of musical ideas
- Improvisation within the pentatonic and diatonic scales
- Demonstration of musical creativity through composition
- Developed understanding of major and minor tonalities
Please note: All classes consist of 45 minutes of instructional time followed by 15 minutes of Community Time to talk with our expert teachers, ask questions about music and child development, meet other families, and provide social time for children.
For more information, please contact Gabriela Cohen, First Music Program Chair, at (202) 686-8000 x1107 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Class By Age Group
7 and under
MD - Silver Spring Campus