Learn to Fence: Fencing Instruction
Apr 06 - May 11 (Tuesday)
5:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Ages 8-19 · Co-Ed
Fencing is a sport involving quick thinking, agility, poise and speed and is one of the few sports that evens the playing field between size, age and gender. Through participation, athletes will develop discipline, respect, maturity and good sportsmanship; qualities that will cross over to their everyday lives. It is a tradition to salute before a fencing competition and shake hands afterwards. Through their individual and team participation, fencers learn to solve problems, cope with adversity and handle any situation with grace.
Level of Instruction: Beginner - for those who have never tried fencing.
Skills/Fundamentals Learned: This course teaches all aspects of this unique sport in a safe and fun environment. Participants will be introduced to:
- History of fencing
- Target areas
- Fencing technique (footwork and blade work)
- 6 feet Physical Distancing will be encouraged whenever possible
- Participants must self-screen for COVID Symptoms and temperature and may not attend if sick or exhibiting a temperature of 100.4 or higher
- Hand washing/sanitizing will be required upon arrival and throughout the day. Please bring sanitizer if possible.
- Shared equipment will be disinfected between sessions and between users.
- No high-fives, hugs, or handshakes will be allowed
- No sharing of food or drink
- Spectator limits may be in place. Spectators must remain spaced by 6 feet at all times and must wear a mask.
Masks are required at all indoor facilities for participants ages 11 and older per State Executive Order D2020 138.
- Class capacity is limited to 10 participants per group. Groups will not be mixed.
Specific information about this division’s Safe Return plan and FAQs can be found at www.ParkerRec.com/Sports.
Any facility or program that opens during the Safe Return phased reopening will comply with current state and public health recommendations and will adhere to strict safety protocols for both patrons and staff. Please make the following commitments to contribute to a safe return:
- I will stay home if I feel sick.
- I will practice social distancing and not gather in large groups.
- I will wash my hands often. While outdoors, I will use hand sanitizer.
- I will cover my mouth and nose when I cough or sneeze.
- I will avoid touching my eyes, nose and mouth.
- I will wear a face mask.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Instructor: This class is taught through the Fencing Academy of Parker and lead by Coach Mihaly Csikany (pronounced Me-hi) Coach Mihaly is a nine-time Hungarian National Champion, and he has coached students who have gone on to successfully compete for NCAA teams including Cornell, Duke, Notre Dame, Penn State, Princeton, Stanford, UPenn, and Yale. Click Here for complete biographies.
- Equipment Needed: Participants should wear comfortable shoes and clothing to all Fencing activities. The use of all equipment is included in the advertised fee.
- Bring only what you need and can keep with you.
- Bring personal hand sanitizer and a sweat towel.
- Bring your own full water bottle and refrain from using the drinking fountains.
Skip Dates: None
Youth (6 -18)
DCS Montessori Charter School (Gymnasium); 311 Castle Pines Parkway, Castle Pines, CO 80108
Parker Parks and Recreation