Ladybug Nature Walks are a way for children ages 18 months-6 years (with an adult) to explore a local Portland park or natural area with a trained educator. Walks are child-directed and open-ended. Nature educators walk with the children in small groups, encouraging them to learn through questions, observation, and play. Groups move slowly through the park, stopping frequently, so children have time to notice the plants and animals around them. Each participating child gets to borrow a small ladybug backpack for the walk containing a few simple tools for exploring.
Please read all details carefully. This is an in-person activity that will be following guidance from the Center for Disease Control (CDC), Oregon Healthy Authority, and Multnomah County. All who are registered need to follow the COVID-19 protocols listed below.
Please read carefully. Our program has changed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Walks are geared for children ages 2-6. (Children 18-24 months can register but will not be charged. If your child is a very young toddler, join us for the amount of time that works for you.)
Adult participation is required and limited to one adult per paying child. (examples: 1 paying child = 1 adult; 2 paying children = 1 or 2 adults)
*When prompted, please add the name and phone number of the adult(s) attending the walk and list any children under age 18 months who are attending. (Due to limited group sizes because of COVID-19, we ask that children older than 6 do not attend.)
Requirements for participation:
- Registration is required for all children 18 months - 6 yrs (You will be prompted to add names and ages of any younger siblings during registration.) Only children ages 2-6 will be charged the fee.
- Participants must remain six feet apart at all times (except for people living in the same household.)
- Face coverings that cover the nose and mouth are required for all participants 3 years and older.
- COVID-19 waiver must be read and signed for each participant. All participants will be screened for COVID-like symptoms as they arrive on site.
- Children and adults who are ill or are experiencing COVID-like symptoms should not attend the walk. (Withdraw online or call 503-823-1149.)
Adults attending with children, we need your help on the walk!
Plan to be fully engaged with us and your child as they explore. Slow down. Be curious along with them. Encourage questions. Help us teach from six feet away!
"Pay What You Can" Pricing
We know that cost may be a barrier to some members of our community. If you cannot pay the full cost, use the discounts at check-out to pay what you can.
2. Adult/Child (Adult must attend)
Meet near the bathrooms adjacent to the parking log along SE Oaks Park Way (about a block north of SE Spokane Street)
Portland Parks & Recreation