Lifeguard Training Class
Dec 11 - Dec 27 (Friday)
6:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Ages 16-255 · Co-Ed
Northwest YMCA- Thad Terry Pool
From Dec 11, 2020 to Dec 11, 2020
Each Friday from 06:00 PM to 08:00 PM
We're sorry, but this activity is over. The last meeting was Sunday, December 27, 2020.
Lifeguard Training Class (December 11th - 27th, 2020)
Registration deadline is Wednesday December 9th.
This American Red Cross Lifeguard Training is only for prospective employees who intend to apply to work for Pima County for Summer 2021. Material covered will include American Red Cross Lifeguard material and Pima County lifeguard protocol. Participants must be 16 years old by May 15th, 2021 to register for this class.
Participants must complete the following pre-requisites on the first day of class:
1) Swim 300 yards continuously with rhythmic breathing, using a combination of breaststroke and freestyle.
2) Tread water for two minutes without the use of your arms.
3) Swim 20 yards to deep end to retrieve a 10lb brick from the bottom of the pool, surface and swim on your back to shallow end. This must be completed in 1minute 40 seconds.
Safety protocols including additional sanitization and social distancing will be in place during all classes. Classes are subject to immediate cancellation if any order or advisory by a federal, state or local official would preclude Pima County’s ability to teach these classes, such as orders and advisories intended to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 virus. All registered participants would be immediately notified should there be a cancellation.
Class dates and times:
Thad Terry Aquatic Center (Located at NW YMCA -7770 N. Shannon Rd.)
Friday, Dec. 11th 6-8pm
Sunday Dec. 20th 1pm-6pm
Tuesday Dec. 22nd 1pm-6pm
Wednesday Dec. 23rd 1pm-6pm
Sunday Dec. 27th 1pm-6pm
Pima County Parks and Recreation Office (3500 W. River Rd.)
Saturday Dec. 19th 9am-2pm (videos/land activity day)
Monday Dec. 21st 8am-5pm (CPR/First Aid day w/lunch break)
In the event that the pool is closed due to weather or any unforeseeable circumstance, class may need to be relocated or extended to meet all objectives at the discretion of the lifeguard instructor team.
Class fee: $50.00
- Fee is non-refundable once pre-requisites have been completed.
- $40.00 refundable if participant doesn't pass the pre-requisites.
- $5.00 fee to transfer to a later class once registered for a class.
- Entire fee is only refundable if the class is cancelled.
Please contact Jodi Layton at (520) 724-5171for any additional information or questions regarding the training.
NRPR - Meeting Room Large at NRPR Main Office
Northwest YMCA Pool at Northwest YMCA- Thad Terry Pool
PCNRPR (Pima County Natural Resources Parks and Recreation)